It was time for the 2015 national championship game between Ohio State and Oregon and the hype for the game was through the roof. It was time for the first ever finale of the college football playoffs. Everyone who turned on a tv weeks in advance of this game heard some type of talk about the game and how it was going to be historic. Since there was a ton of coverage about this game, all of ESPN's commentators and different personalities weighed in on what they thought about the game. Every possible aspect of the game was covered by many of their announcers. This led to another segment of mean tweets from Jimmy Kimmel. I thought that this segment was great the first time that I watched it, but this time was even better for me. The hype around the game led to a ton of entries for the segment this time. For those that are not familiar with this segment, it is where Jimmy Kimmel shows people some tweets that have been posted on twitter. These posts are usually very negative and are people who do not like the tv personality mentioned in the tweet. In this segment that specific tv personality reads the tweet out loud and their reactions are priceless.
This was a perfect thing to put in the pre-game program for a couple of reasons. I think that like most people, I was getting sick of hearing all the different people say the same type of things. For example the hype was all about Heisman winner Mariota vs. the inexperienced quarterback for Ohio State making only his third start. That was one of the few things that I heard from what felt like 1,000 different people around 1,000 times in the week leading up to the game. This segment was a great change of pace. While the game is so serious, this segment was so goofy and fun. Seeing all of these people react to what was said about them was great. The best part about it was that they all reacted in different ways when they read about their "criticism". Some of the personalities laughed and agreed. Some could barely even read the entire tweet because they were laughing so hard. Others seemed a little ticked off (in a joking manner). I think my favorite was the criticism of Tim Tebow. It was not the funniest, but as a Georgia bulldawg I am always up for someone ripping on the guy who destroyed our program for 3 years. Overall I really enjoyed this segment and it was great to see the influence that social media can have on an event. I know they had a ton of material to choose from because this game produced a ton of social content. I know it was hard for the producers to weed through all of the data and find the best "mean tweets".
No comments:
Post a Comment